It was just put out there that David Hayden, Joe Healy and I will be doing a ASP.NET MVC Firestarter here in Tampa, FL on Monday November 17 at the new Microsoft office. It should be a lot of fun and very informative. David and I both have live sites in production using various versions of ASP.NET MVC Previews, so we have plenty of real world experience. So far I have no complaints and it has been very nice that we can modify the source code of the framework if we need to and my team actually has modified one thing that we needed when we went live back in May earlier this year. Here is some details on what will be covered and how to register:
Throughout the day we will be demonstrating the ASP.NET MVC Framework in a cookbook-style approach with recipes on how to solve common challenges when developing MVC web applications. No previous knowledge or experience is necessary. We will walk you through the basics on creating views and controllers and by the end of the day show you how to develop end-to-end MVC applications complete with Ajax, authentication, authorization, caching, databinding, logging, persistence, validation, and other common challenges we experience in day-to-day development.
Sample code will leverage and integrate popular frameworks and libraries like ADO.NET Data Services, ASP.NET AJAX, ASP.NET Dynamic Data, Enterprise Library, Entity Framework, and LINQ To SQL to show you how to write less code and be more productive during your development.
Polish it all off with examples showing the extensibility of the MVC Framework using custom controller factories, alternative view engines, and custom action filter attributes just to name a few.
Topics covered will include “How Do I...”
- Create Views Easily? ( HTML and Url Helpers )
- Handle Get and Post Requests? ( simple databinding of action method arguments, ActionResults, etc.. )
- Pass Data Between Views and Controllers? ( ViewData and TempData )
- Bind Views and Forms to complex data types? ( ModelBinders )
- Handle Errors Gracefully? ( ActionFilter Attributes )
- Provide Input Error Validation? ( ValidationMessage, ValidationSummary, ViewData.ModelState )
- Handle Authentication and Authorization? ( ActionFilter Attributes and Membership Provider )
- Persist to a database ( LINQ To SQL, Entity Framework )
- Log Messages to Database, File, EventLog ( ActionFilter Attributes, etc. )
- Leverage AJAX and JSON? ( ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery )
- Leverage DynamicData? ( Futures )
Some of the more complex and non-beginner topics can be discussed if time is allowed and/or maybe discussed afterwards in a social environs…
- Alternate View Engines
- IoC and Custom Controller Factories
- Unit Testing
Bring your USB Flash Drive to grab the sample code and begin developing ASP.NETMVC Web Applications today!
Microsoft Office – Tampa, FL
5426 Bay Center Drive
Tampa, FL 33609
Monday, November 17, 2008
9:00 AM–4:30 PM
Click here to register or call 877.673.8368 with event ID1032390730.